Intro to Competition Coach APPLY NOW
The Ottawa River Canoe club is looking for an enthusiastic person to work as the Intro to Competition Coach.
ORCC was established in 2001, and has a focus on the development of recreational, pre competitive and competitive athletes of all ages in the disciplines of sprint canoeing, kayaking, surf ski, outrigger, and dragon boat paddling. Youth programs include Canoe Kids Summer Camps, Youth Summer Camps and sprint training programs. Adult programs include masters sprint paddling, surf ski, dragon boat, outrigger, and stand-up paddling (SUP). The club also offers recreational and competitive programs for adults and youth living with a physical (Para) or intellectual (Paddle All) disability. ORCC athletes compete and succeed at the divisional, provincial, national and international levels of competition.
The Intro to Competition camp (similar to the old Regatta Ready Camp) is for paddlers, aged 11 to 14 years, who want to build on their paddling skills in racing canoes, kayaks and war canoe and have the opportunity to compete at a regional regatta. This year we are offering three 2 week camp options; July 4-15; July 18-29; August 2-12. This is a part time job for the month of June becoming full time in July and August. In June, typical training sessions are 2 hours twice a week in the evenings, and Saturday mornings, then full time 8:00-4:30pm during the week for July and August as well as weekends where regattas exist.
- High School Diploma
- Knowledge of the Canoe Kayak Canada Long Term Athlete Development and Team Red Principles
- Standard First Aid, CPR-C and AED certified by start date
- Must have a vulnerable sector check* & Ontario Pleasure Craft Operators Card*
- Coaching Association of Canada National Coaching Certification Program Introduction to Competition Certified*as per Canoe Kayak Canada; Respect in Sport for Activity Leaders Training*, Safe Sport Trained*
*candidates may obtain these certifications after applying, but must have them prior to starting the job
- Enthusiasm, willingness to learn, positive attitude
- Outstanding communication, organization, collaboration, and leadership skills
- Previous experience coaching Sprint Canoe & Kayak
- War Canoe Coxing experience
- National Lifeguarding Service certified
- Promote and encourage sport in a fun and safe environment to all athletes.
- Abide by all of the Club rules and policies and promote them to all Club paddlers.
- Responsible for the safety of all athletes being coached.
- Abide by and enforce the Canoe Kayak Canada, Canoe Kayak Ontario-Sprint, and Ottawa River Canoe Club Codes of Safety.
- Report any safety issues to the Head Coach, Sprint Program Manager or Executive Director in a timely manner.
- Work collaboratively with the Head Coach to create the Seasonal Plan and microcycles for the Intro to Competition Program.
- Work collaboratively with the Head Coach, and rest of the ORCC staff to deliver the Seasonal Plan for the Intro to Competition Program.
- When required work collaboratively with the Head Coach to assist with the delivery of the Seasonal Plan for the Train to Perform and Train to Train Groups.
- Work collaboratively with the team and volunteers to ensure all logistics are in place for training sessions for all groups.
- Upon request from the Head Coach, attend any regattas where the Intro to Competition group is racing or any other regattas as requested by the Head Coach
This position is broken down into 2 segments: June 6-July 2nd part time 6 hours per week; June 27-August 14th is full time 40 hours per week.
Please note this job is contingent on the Ottawa River Canoe Club being able to run camps this summer.
Deadline for application: February 28th, 20222022-03-01|||1610 Sixth Line Road |||Summer Season||||||_jAf439K~q8.xsv_|||FULL_TIME|||CAD|||HOUR|||range||||||15|||16|||true