Summer Camp Coordinator APPLY NOW
The Ottawa River Canoe Club (ORCC) is looking for 3 enthusiastic and well organized people to work as the Canoe Kids, Youth Camp, and Dovercourt Camp Coordinators.
ORCC was established in 2001, and has a focus on the development of recreational, pre-competitive and competitive athletes of all ages in the disciplines of sprint canoeing, kayaking, surf ski, outrigger, and dragon boat paddling. Youth programs include Canoe Kids Summer Camps, Youth Summer Camps and sprint training programs. Adult programs include masters sprint paddling, surf ski, dragon boat, outrigger, and stand-up paddling (SUP). The club also offers recreational and competitive programs for adults and youth living with a physical (Para) or intellectual (Paddle All) disability. ORCC athletes compete and succeed at the divisional, provincial, national and international levels of competition.
ORCC provides three different summer camps (Junior Canoe Kids 6 & 7 year olds; Canoe Kids 8-11 year olds; and Youth Paddling Camp 11-14 year olds) for children and youth living in the Dunrobin, West Carleton, Constance Bay, Fitzroy Harbour and Kanata areas. All camps provide a fun camp environment for children and youth to learn fundamental canoe, kayak, and stand up paddle board skills, and to encourage a lifelong interest in paddling. The camps are designed to provide children and youth an opportunity to paddle and socialize with their friends in a fun team environment. Campers develop water safety awareness and paddling skills while increasing their confidence on the water. The camping day includes on-land active games, crafts, and discovery time. The focus is on summer fun!
The Camp Coordinators will be working as the senior camp counsellor in either the Canoe Kids/ Junior Canoe Kids, Youth Camp or Dovercourt Camps. There job will be to lead the day to day programing of their respective programs, while also mentoring the other counsellors working in those programs.
Essential Experience (must be able to demonstrate through references):
- High School Diploma
- Kids camp counsellor or teaching experience
- Enthusiasm and willingness to learn
- Outstanding communication and collaboration skills
- Exemplary organization skill
- Must have a vulnerable sector check* & Ontario Pleasure Craft Operators Card*, CPR-C, AED and standard First Aid*
- Coaching Association of Canada National Coaching Certification Program Community Sport Trained*as per Canoe Kayak Canada; Respect in Sport for Activity Leaders Training*, Safe Sport Trained*
*candidates may obtain these certifications after applying, but must have them prior to starting the job
- Some University/ College education in one the following fields: Kinesiology,
- Pedagogy, Teaching, Recreation, or other related field
- Previous job experience in proximity of water (swimming, paddling, water-skiing etc).
- Previous paddling experience
- Previous experience supervising staff
- National Lifeguarding Service certification
- Promote and encourage sport in a fun and safe environment to all athletes.
- Abide by all of the Club rules and policies and promote them to all Club paddlers.
- Responsible for the safety of all athletes being coached.
- Abide by and enforce the Canoe Kayak Canada, Canoe Kayak Ontario-Sprint, and Ottawa River Canoe Club Codes of Safety.
- Report any safety issues to the Executive Director, Sprint Program Manager or Board of Directors in a timely manner.
- Must be able to create and deliver a week long curriculum appropriate for each camp and each age group.
- Supervise & mentor younger staff
- Together with the rest of the team of staff and camp counselors introduce the campers to the basics of recreational canoe and kayak and various other paddle sports.
- Work collaboratively with the team and volunteers to ensure all camp logistics are in place and the programs are delivered according to plan.
- Follow basic guidelines for Canoe Kids Camp programs developed by Canoe Kayak Canada and by the ORCC Head Coach.
- Teach and apply basic water safety techniques during all camp activities
- Supervise participants in all aspects of camp: swim assessment, canoeing, kayaking, dragon boating, games, field trips to beach, crafts and pre and post camp care.
- Promote and encourage sport in a fun and safe environment.
- Teach physical literacy and fundamental movement skills to children between the ages of 6-14 years in a fun camp atmosphere.
Term: June 27-Aug 26; Please note this job is contingent on the Ottawa River Canoe Club being able to run camps this summer.
- Hours are 8 to 4:30, Monday to Friday (except long weekends)
Salary: starting $16/ hour; negotiable depending on qualifications and experience2022-03-14|||1610 Sixth Line Road |||Summer Season||||||Eczov.jgXRExtD8f|||FULL_TIME|||CAD|||HOUR|||range||||||16||||||true