Summer Camp Counselor APPLY NOW
The Ottawa River Canoe Club (ORCC) is looking for 4 enthusiastic people to work as Summer Camp Counsellor for the ORCC Junior Canoe Kids (6 & 7 year olds), Canoe Kids (8-11 year olds) and Youth Paddling (11-14 year olds) Camps.
ORCC was established in 2001, and has a focus on the development of recreational, pre-competitive and competitive athletes of all ages in the disciplines of sprint canoeing, kayaking, surf ski, outrigger, and dragon boat paddling. Youth programs include Canoe Kids Summer Camps, Youth Summer Camps and sprint training programs. Adult programs include masters sprint paddling, surf ski, dragon boat, outrigger, and stand-up paddling (SUP). The club also offers recreational and competitive programs for adults and youth living with a physical (Para) or intellectual (Paddle All) disability. ORCC athletes compete and succeed at the divisional, provincial, national and international levels of competition.
The Ottawa River Summer Camps provide a fun camp environment for children to learn fundamental canoe and kayak skills and to encourage a lifelong interest in paddling. All ORCC Summer Camps are designed to provide children an opportunity to paddle and socialize with their friends in a fun team environment. Campers develop water safety awareness and paddling skills while increasing their confidence on the water. The camping day includes on-land active games, crafts, and discovery time. The focus is on summer fun!
The Summer Camp Counselors will be working with children 6-7, 8-11, and 11-14 years old in a day camp environment.
Essential Qualifications: (must be able to demonstrate through references):
- Enthusiasm and willingness to learn
- Outstanding communication and collaboration skills
- Exemplary organization skills.
- Vulnerable Sector Check* for applicants over 18, minimum of 2 personal references for applicants under 18*
- Ontario Pleasure Craft Operators Card*, CPR-C, AED and standard First Aid*
- Coaching Association of Canada; National Coaching Certification Program; Sprint Canoe Kayak Community Sport Trained*; Safe Sport Trained*
* Candidates may obtain these certifications after applying, but must have them prior to starting the job
- Previous job experience in proximity of water (swimming, paddling, water-skiing etc).
- Previous job experience as a camp counsellor
- National Lifeguard certification
- Previous paddling experience
- Experience Teaching Fundamental Movements Skills
- Together with the rest of the team of camp counselors introduce the campers to the basics of recreational canoe and kayak and various other paddle sports.
- Work collaboratively with the team and volunteers to ensure all camp logistics are in place and the programs are delivered flawlessly.
- Follow basic guidelines for Canoe Kids Camp programs developed by Canoe Kayak Canada and by the ORCC Head Coach.
- Teach and apply basic water safety technique during all camp activities
- Supervise participants in all aspects of camp: swim assessment, canoeing, kayaking, dragon boating, games, field trips to beach, crafts and pre and post camp care.
- Promote and encourage sport in a fun and safe environment.
- Teach physical literacy and fundamental movement skills to children between the ages of 6-11 years in a fun camp atmosphere.
Term: June 27th to August 26th; Please note this job is contingent on the Ottawa River Canoe Club being able to run camps this summer.
- Hours are 8 to 4:30, Monday to Friday (except long weekends)
Salary: $15-$16/ hour depending on experience and qualifications2022-03-14|||1610 Sixth Line Road |||Summer Season||||||TCIk-NOXr8Y.i-Jk|||FULL_TIME|||CAD|||HOUR|||range||||||15|||16|||true