Intro to Competition Camp (Ages 11 - 15)
Ready, Set, Go!
Do you have youth at home with a competitive spirit? Are they looking to try something fun and new? The Intro to Competition camp is the perfect camp for them! See below for full program details
2024 Dates TBD
$349.00 Full Week
$280 Short Weeks (Long Weekends)
***Subject to change for Summer 2024
Drop-Off: 8:30 - 9:00 AM
Pick-Up: 4:00 - 4:30 PM
*Late pick-up available until 5:00 PM*
This option complements our Canoe Kids and Youth Paddling Camp, as paddlers, aged 11 to 14 develop their sprint boat paddling skills while also having the opportunity to compete at a regional regatta (no prior paddling experience is required - week dependent). Campers will enjoy spending their days in and on the water in a team environment learning to sprint canoe, sprint kayak, war canoe, and dragon boat. This year we are offering three 2-week camp options and 2 1-week sessions. These are all stand-alone camps (you do not need to participate in the first camp to participate in the second and so on), but if you are having tons of fun you can do multiple sessions or join our summer long program which lasts for a minimum of 5 weeks and up to 7 weeks.
Generic Day Schedule
- 9:00 AM: Field Games
- 9:30 AM: Practice #1
- 10:45 AM: Snack / Break
- 11:00 AM: Practice #2 (likely War Canoe)
- 12:30 PM: Lunch
- 1:00 PM: Freetime
- 1:45 PM: Practice #3
- 3:45 PM: Clean Up
- 4:00 PM: Pick-Up
What are the practices?
The goal of the Intro to Comp (i2C) camp is to develop campers' paddling skills in various sprint boats. Furthermore, if your camper is registered in a session with a regatta, we will plan practices to ensure campers are prepared for the races they are entered in. This means practicing in a mix of K1, K2, K4, C1, C2, C4, and War Canoe!
While the I2C camp can be considered more rigorous than Youth Camps, we still ake sure I2C campers have tons of fun, freetime, and the opportunity to go on some day trips.
What to Bring
- Government Approved PFD (if you have one)
- UV resistant clothing
- Camper may wish to bring sunglasses on a strap/string incase boat flips (campers who are stable in sprint boats may not need the safety strap)
- Change of clothes & plastic bag to put wet clothes in
- Bathing suit & towel
- Running shoes & water shoes (watershoes of some sort are necessary as we have a rocky shoreline)
- Hat, spray on sunscreen & insect repellent (apply the first layer before coming to camp)
- Lunch, snacks & water bottles
Note: Campers must be able to apply sunscreen, change their clothes, and use the washroom on their own. We will ensure sunscreen is applied safely and properly during the many break times throughout the day. Staff are not permitted to apply sunscreen, insect repellent or accompany campers to the washroom.
Appropriate Watershoes: These may include crocs, watershoes, waterproof sandals such as keens or any other shoe that can be worn in water. Flip-flops are not a viable option.
Safety: Our Number One Priority
- All campers undergo a swim assessment on their first day of camp that includes swimming 50 meter and treading water in the river. This assessment allows our counsellors to determine each campers comfort level in and around the water. No camper will be turned away due to swim ability as ALL campers, regardless of swim ability, are required to wear a Government of Canada Approved Personal Flotation Device (PFD) while on or near the water.
Realizing that our participants have varying swimming abilities, the ORCC recommends that all paddlers strive to attain a progressive swim competency following the Red Cross Swim Kids program.
Coach to Camper ratio
- Intro to Comp: 1:10 ratio
***Information below is for 2023, prices and dates subject to change for 2024. Details will be finalized and updated by January 25.
Camp Rates are as follows:
- $750 Per Camper / Per 2-Week Session (Non-Member)
- $700 Per Camper / Per 2-week Session (Member) - Use discount code MemberCamp2023 to receive member pricing. If code does not work, contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will ensure your account is marked as a member.
- $375 Per Non-Member Camper / Per 1-Week sessions (no regatta)
- $350 Per member Camper / Per 1-Week sessions (no regatta) - Use Discount Code: SWMemberI2C
- Late pick-up is offered until 5:00PM for $45 per week/per camper
Next Steps After Loving Camp?
Loved camp and don't want to stop training? You don't have to! Consider joining one of the options provided below to continue developing your sprint boat skills!
- Junior Competitive Program (JCP)
- Intro to Comp camp participants who enjoyed developing their sprint skills have the option to join our Junior Competitive Group offers athletes a bit more of a challenge.
- JCP runs daily throughout the summer in a non-camp environment where athletes will follow a more rigorous training schedule. The program is deigned with the longterm hope of having the athletes join our competitive program which races at local, regional, and national competitions!
- Evening Intro to Competition Program
- Runs 3 nights a week in the spring and summer
- Designed to continue developing paddling skills while still being in a fairly relaxed environment (no races)
Credit Card & Cancellation Policy
Credit Card Policy
- ORCC offers a variety of payment methods such as e-transfer, credit card, and PayPal. However, credit card/PayPal transactions cost the club thousands of dollars every year. In an effort to keep program pricing reasonable, we ask those participants who wish to pay by credit card or PayPal to ensure you also pay the credit card/PayPal convenience fee to help offset the costs to the club. No convenience fee is charged for electronic transfers to email@example.com
Please be aware of the ORCC Cancellation Policy:
- Program registration cancellations which are received two weeks prior to the start of the program will receive a full refund less the $15 non-refundable administration fee.
- No refunds are available within two weeks of the start of the program or once the program has started; a prorated credit only will be issued.
- In the case of injury or illness, a medical certificate may be required, and refunds will only be offered as camp fee prorated credit to be used for a future ORCC camp or program registration.