Youth Camps (Ages 11 - 15)
The Youth Paddling Camp is similar to our Canoe Kids camp but for older kids. Youth will spend more time on the water in boats, paddling longer distances. Some of our adventures include day trips to Aylmer Island, Aylmer Beach, Pinhey’s Point, and other exciting places on the water. Youth Camp participants typically finish the week having paddled approximately 35 km over the course of the week. Participants in the Youth Paddling Camp will also have the opportunity to try out some of our more advanced boats, all while socializing and having fun with their friends.
2021 was the first year this program ran, and the most common feedback from parents/guardians was that the ORCC was one of the only summer camps that their older children not only wanted to return to in the future but also the only summer camp they were excited to get out of bed for in the morning!
2024 Dates TBD
$349.00 Full Week
$280 Short Weeks (Long Weekends)
***Subject to change for Summer 2024
Drop-Off: 8:30 - 9:00 AM
Pick-Up: 4:00 - 4:30 PM
*Late pick-up available until 5:00 PM*
In addition to the information listed above, campers registered in youth camps can expect to spend the majority of their day in or on the water. Field games are played in the morning and occasionaly during the day in poor water conditions. Youth camp participants rarely, if ever do crafts (unless self-directed during freetime).
During free time campers are able to swim, paddle, or play with a wide variety of games such as cards, board games, jumbo jenga and more; some campers choose to use that time to read and thats okay too!
In essence, the youth camps program is all about developing strong paddling skills while building lifelong friendships.
Generic Day Schedule
- 9:00 AM: Field Games
- 9:30 AM: Water Activity #1
- 10:45 AM: Snack / Break
- 11:00 AM: Water Activity #2
- 12:30 PM: Lunch
- 1:00 PM: Freetime
- 1:45 PM: Water Activity #3
- 3:45 PM: Clean Up
- 4:00 PM: Pick-Up
Rough Week Schedule
- Monday: Staying around the ORCC - Intro to Canoe / Kayak / SUP
- Tuesday: Dragon boat to Aylmer Beach (campers will have the opportunity to buy a treat at a corner store in Aylmer, QC)
- Wednesday: War Canoe and the opportunity to try a sprint boat.
- Thursday: Day trip to Pinheys Point (crew boats)
- Friday: Choice boats, possible pre-lunch paddle to Aylmer island. Return to ORCC for the fun-gatta (fun race) which includes campers at all levels.
Please note that this is only a rough camp schedule. Plans change depending on river conditions as well as well as what the campers are most interested in doing.
What to Bring
- Government Approved PFD (if you have one)
- UV resistant clothing
- Change of clothes & plastic bag to put wet clothes in
- Bathing suit & towel
- Running shoes & water shoes (watershoes of some sort are necessary as we have a rocky shoreline)
- Hat, spray on sunscreen & insect repellent (apply the first layer before coming to camp)
- Lunch, snacks & water bottles
Note: Campers must be able to apply sunscreen, change their clothes, and use the washroom on their own. We will ensure sunscreen is applied safely and properly during the many break times throughout the day. Staff are not permitted to apply sunscreen, insect repellent or accompany campers to the washroom.
Appropriate Watershoes: These may include crocs, watershoes, waterproof sandals such as keens or any other shoe that can be worn in water. Flip-flops are not a viable option.
Safety: Our Number One Priority
- All campers undergo a swim assessment on their first day of camp that includes swimming 50 meter and treading water in the river. This assessment allows our counsellors to determine each campers comfort level in and around the water. No camper will be turned away due to swim ability as ALL campers, regardless of swim ability, are required to wear a Government of Canada Approved Personal Flotation Device (PFD) while on or near the water.
Realizing that our participants have varying swimming abilities, the ORCC recommends that all paddlers strive to attain a progressive swim competency following the Red Cross Swim Kids program.
Coach to Camper ratio
- Youth Camps: 1:9 ratio
***Information below is for 2023, prices and dates subject to change for 2024. Details will be finalized and updated by January 25.
Camp Rates are as follows:
- $349 Per Child / Per Week
- $280 Per Child / Per Short Week
- July 4 - 7
- Aug 8 - 11
- Aug 28 - 31
- Late pick-up is offered until 5:00PM for $45 per week/per camper
Credit Card & Cancellation Policy
Credit Card Policy
- ORCC offers a variety of payment methods such as e-transfer, credit card, and PayPal. However, credit card/PayPal transactions cost the club thousands of dollars every year. In an effort to keep program pricing reasonable, we ask those participants who wish to pay by credit card or PayPal to ensure you also pay the credit card/PayPal convenience fee to help offset the costs to the club. No convenience fee is charged for electronic transfers to email@example.com
Please be aware of the ORCC Cancellation Policy:
- Program registration cancellations which are received two weeks prior to the start of the program will receive a full refund less the $15 non-refundable administration fee.
- No refunds are available within two weeks of the start of the program or once the program has started; a prorated credit only will be issued.
- In the case of injury or illness, a medical certificate may be required, and refunds will only be offered as camp fee prorated credit to be used for a future ORCC camp or program registration.